What is IL Canada?
Founded in 1986, by the Independent Living movement, Independent Living Canada is the national umbrella organizations, representing and coordinating the network of Independent Living (IL) Centres at the national level.
Independent Living Canada is a national, bilingual, non-profit organization, and is governed by a Board of Directors which is comprised of a majority of people with disabilities.
Independent Living Canada supports the IL movement and strengthens the IL Centres by undertaking the following activities:
- Policy Articulation to develop policies that will strengthen and support the core programs offered at the IL Centres.
- Offering guidance and support to IL Centres in day-to-day operations and delivery of programs and services.
- Developing training and resources to help IL Centres.
- Providing networking opportunities as a link for the exchange of information, ideas and resources among IL Centres.
- Creating partnerships that develop and maintain working relationships between government, the non-profit sector, and the private sector.
- Providing information on Independent Living to IL Centres, the general public, community agencies, governments and the media.
- Promoting and building awareness of the Independent Living philosophy throughout Canada.
Our office is located in Ottawa the Nation's Capital.